8.24.2007

all things austen


I think I'm going to go and see "Becoming Jane" this weekend. I've been waiting to see it and I'm sooo excited about it. The movie opened the weekend Owen and I went to Sonoma, but it wasn't playing either here or up there yet [we saw "No Reservations" that weekend-it was very good]. So, I think it just started playing here either last weekend or the one before, and I'm ready to immerse myself in the British Regency period for a couple of hours. Last week I read "Austenland" by Shannon Hale and I just started "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen this week, so I guess I'm in a bit of an Austen mood. Fine by me! I'll either go tonight and let Owen get the kids to bed by himself or, if he'll be getting home from work Saturday early enough, I'll catch a matinee then. And yes, I am going by myself. All the more popcorn for me!
UPDATE: Went to see it Friday night! It's good, although somewhat unexpected. Some parts are a bit, ah, rambunctious, for lack of a better word. It's always interesting to speculate about people of historical note, fleshing out what their lives may have been like. I've read a biography of Jane Austen, so I was already familiar with many of the major events in her family's life, but there are many things that we don't know about. I think that there were letters burned, etc. that may have shed some more light on her life. Evidently there is a book of the same title that this movie was based on. I've already got it on queue at the library-am looking forward to getting my hands on it. Anyhow, it was so nice to get out for an evening on my own. So liberating!
P.S. The movie features two British actors, Maggie Smith and Julie Waters, both of whom appear as regulars in the Harry Potter movies. Whenever they had scenes together, I couldn't help but thinking, "Wow, there's Professor McGonagall and Mrs. Weasley!" I know, so pathetic, but so funny at the same time!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Darn, I wish I were there cuz I'd tag along. I don't think I've ever been to a movie alone. I guess it's never too late to start! I've been wanting to see that one too. I need some balance after seeing the Borne Ultimatum. Can't get much more masculine than that, or more feminine than Becoming Jane.

aisha said...

I love going to movies alone. I've been doing it since before Owen and I got married [and we all know how long that's been]. Maybe it's the popcorn factor...I do love having the bucket all to myself!

Anonymous said...

I wish that my weedend was all things Austen! Instead it was all thing painted.
Was the movie any good?
I want to go see it some time soon.
I have never read Austenland is it any good?

aisha said...

The movie was good-you'll have to see it. "Austenland" is hilarious and a fun read.