8.04.2007

progress


A funny story to relate just how crazy it's been around here. First of all, in the midst of preparing for Sonoma and playdates for the kids, I get a call from the superintendent of the school we would like to transfer our 3 kids to. It is K-8, meaning Bailey would be spared all the trauma of middle school woes, and I have heard super things about the school. So, I'm sitting outside Libby's friend's house, waiting for the girls to collect Ciera's things so they can turn their playdate into a sleepover, when I get the call on my cell phone that they want to interview the kids [and us] for the coming school year. Which starts in 6 days. Fortunately I'm parked, so I rummage about trying to find something to write all the critical info on, and then it's off to gather all the records they need for registration. And I haven't stopped since! Their interview at the school went well-the only question is room for Julia. They have an extraordinarily large 1st grade due to an extraordinarily large kindergarten class last year. However, the superintendent feels confident that there will be room. The only kicker is that we have to wait until the first day of school to know for sure.

Anyway. Back to my funny story. After a day of errands, packing, cleaning, 2 well-child visits, and new school interviews, I come home to look at my list to see what is still left to be done. I realize that I haven't made the gluten-free bread yet. So, at 9 pm, dead tired and still not done with for the day [night], I put the bread in the bread maker and go off to finish packing. A little while later I hear the bread machine knocking about and being extremely loud. Frowning, I I open the lid and peer inside. I stir it around with a spatula, but otherwise everything looks fine. But it's still really loud. When the timer goes off at 11:15 to take it out, I take it out in a dark kitchen and go up to bed.

This morning I am getting ready to put the bread into a bag when I notice a shiny silver something poking out the side of the loaf. What the heck? I pull away pieces of bread until I have in my hands a FORK. Inside the bread. All baked into it. I am about to blame one of those darn kids for putting flatware in my bread machine when I suddenly remember that I always use a fork to stir around the water, oil, and eggs before I add the mix. Except this time I left the fork in.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Ok, I'm still laughing.