8.21.2007

a weekend of high school musical and hamsters



This weekend we [finally] caught the wave of High School Musical mania. I had taped the first movie on the Disney channel, oh, about six months ago and had never gotten around to showing it to the kids. So, with the advent of HSM2 on the horizon, I figured there's no time like the present to get hooked. Friday we watched the first movie and Saturday we taped and watched the second. Both movies are pretty great for kids. If you haven't seen them yet, they're fun, clean, and have really catchy tunes. I think I prefer the first movie, but they're both good. Even though #2 is set during summer break, there were NO bikinis. Some tankinis and a couple outfits on the skimpy side, but as a whole I was fairly impressed with the restraint they showed in the wardrobe arena. Pretty hard to come by these days.

Also, Bailey's best friend gave him a hamster with all the trimmings this weekend. Yes, our first rodent! [At least it's the first one I've ever known about.] Of course the other kids went gaga over the cute little thing [she really is cute-I had no idea!] so Owen bowed to the pressure and went out and got the other kids their own hamsters and the trappings. *Sigh* Right now it's all good, but I'll update you in a week or so when the thrill is gone.

Bailey and his friend have been into the hamster thing for awhile-they found this great hamster video on YouTube [sidebar] that your kids might enjoy as well. Check it out-it's pretty catchy!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Hampsters, ahhh... did I ever tell you what your Uncle Dave did to my hampster? Maybe I shouldn't talk about it where other people can see...

aisha said...

OK, I think that pretty much means that you have to tell-the whole story! I'll be waiting...

Megan said...

Ok, so we had a pretty fiesty hampster. When you put your hand down in the cage she would attack it. She had babies once and one of them got out a little so my mom carefully moved it back into the little hut thing with a tissue, and, no joke, the hampster ate all her babies. So, we decided it was time to get rid of her. So for some reason my dad thought the best way to get rid of the thing was to, get ready for this, yes, microwave it. What was he thinking? I must have been eight or so and it's still vivid in my memory. I remember him putting it, her, in a paper bag and telling me to turn around. Well, I didn't turn around and next thing I know the paper bag is spinning around in the microwave while something inside quickly stopped freaking out. I wonder if my brothers were in on it. I don't know what he was thinking. that's just wrong.

aisha said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I don't even know what to say. Did your mom know about it? I could totally see Dave and Jake in on it. We actually have a fiesty one as well-she bit so frequently that I named her Chopper. But then we realized that she was missing one of her back feet, so I figured that's why she was so defensive. I felt so badly for her and thought that we should just keep her. But yesterday I noticed that she was rushing the other hamsters and attacking them, completely unprovoked. And last night she bit me super hard when I refilled the food dish. So, I think we may have to return her. Especially since she's supposed to be Collin's hamster, and it's not so good to be constantly bitten when you're only 3.

Anonymous said...

Be careful about keeping hamsters together. We had two, they each had their own cage. We were told they would attack each other if put together.
The kids were great and never broke this rule but their wonderful father wanted to see what would happen and joined the cages. I heard him screaming for help and run to see what was going on. The hamsters had a dead bite on each other. I stuck a pencil between them and lifted out the one that bite on to it. The hamsters died shortly after.

aisha said...

I had no idea that having hamsters could be so, well, volatile! We'll have to keep an eye on these little guys for sure.