9.13.2007

aicha

Earlier this week I was at the bank. As I was signing my name, the young teller [who appeared to be at least partially Middle Eastern] asked me how I pronounce my name. When I told him, he looked interested and asked me, "Like the song?" I was thinking he was referring [as many people have in the past] to a song by some little boys singing about Aisha on the playground, so I said, "Yeah, yeah, I know that old song you're talking about." When he said that the song he was thinking about was fairly recent, I was curious and asked him to tell me more. He said it was a song by a group called Outlandish [they're a sort of eclectic, world-type band from Denmark, although the members are part Middle Eastern] and that it was called "Aicha" and pronounced the same way my name is [I guess the two are interchangeable].

He wrote it all down for me, told me that there were also versions of the song in French and Arabic, and then almost hesitantly asked me if I was part Arabic. That was kind of funny to me, since if you've ever seen me you know there is no way I could be Arabic-way too pale and not nearly exotic enough! I told him that although I wasn't Arabic, I was familiar with the Arabic origins of my name. In case you've never heard the story, before I was born my dad was reading a novel in Spanish [a language that has many Moorish influences] where the main character's name was Aisha. In the novel her name was originally spelled "Aixa." Thank heavens they didn't go for that spelling or I really would be in trouble. Aisha was also the name of Mohammed's youngest wife.

So, my interest was piqued. I googled it and actually came up with a video of the song on YouTube. The song is really mellow and sweet and I rather like it. Evidently this version is a remake of an older song by the same name [after seeing/hearing the original as well, I definitely like this one better] but it's sung in French. The video definitely has a Middle Eastern/World vibe to it. Click here to watch the video!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Gee, I guess I never realized you were part Arabic! Your blue eyes and blonde hair mask it so well! You must get if from your mom. Sweet, that means that mom my is part Arabic too AND SO AM I! Wow, I always felt like a had a connection with Allah. Or Muhammad, or whatever God is associated with them.

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Aisha is also the name of a goddess in Islamic Folklore?
I watched the music video. It was good.