9.26.2007

mini & baby

Mini, the hamster cannibal-ahem, I mean mother


As I've had some requests for hamster baby updates recently, here's the latest: we are down to one baby, and I have every reason to believe that this one is a keeper. Uno, as I affectionately refer to this little survivor, was apparently the only hamster to escape his/her mother's wrath. [let's just say that Mini has had her fill of protein in the last week and leave it at that] And she looks so innocent, too!

Actually, I have felt rather badly for little Mini. She was pretty young to be a hamster mom. When I compare sizes of the mother and baby [you'll get a chance to see them together in the video], the baby is just so big. I don't know how she ever could have taken care of seven at once. Uno is plump and sturdy. Still blind as a bat, though. The eyes are supposed to open within the next week, so that should be fun.

Here's a short video I took of mom and baby!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Micky says it is just wrong for a mother to eat her babies. I am not telling her that other animals do as well.
The Hamster baby is adorable. Micky asked how close you live. She wanted to come get Uno.