9.11.2007

little philmont



Over the weekend Owen and I attended Little Philmont. Huh? My first response, too. Actually, when Owen told me a couple of months ago that we were going to Little Philmont, my first reaction was, "Who's Philmont, and how little is he?" Anyway, Little Philmont is LDS Scout Training. As Owen is YM President/Assistant Scoutmaster and I am Scout Committee Chair [it sounds so official], we were invited to attend. It was held at Camp Chawanakee on Shaver Lake, and is actually the same camp that our Boy Scouts attend in the summer. Grammie agreed to watch the little people for us and we camped overnight on Friday and had training classes for most of Saturday. We also had some really great devotionals and talks. Kind of reminded me of Girl's Camp, but without all the singing and crying.

Both of us learned a lot about scouting that weekend, but we also learned some things about each other as well. Owen learned that I hate it when we're leaving to go somewhere and he rushes off ahead to leave me trailing behind him. You know, like a puppy or a caddy or something. And I learned something about Owen on the drive up and back. You know the guy on the road that turns on his blinker to switch lanes and after he switches then forgets all about the blinker for miles and then you end up driving behind him, wondering if he really means to have his blinker on and being all courteous and ready for him to move again until [in frustration] you finally realize he's just completely oblivious and you get away from him as quickly as possible? Owen is that guy. I suppose it's not entirely his fault, since he banged up his driver's side door frame many years ago, causing airflow to rush through the very top of the window frame and making a lot of noise. But I just thought it was hilarious. Of course Owen didn't!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was funny.
I could absolutely see Owen being that guy. They drive me crazy. I could also see him not thinking that it was funny.
It sounds like you guys had fun. I actually like camping but I never get to go. For a long time Tsenu pretended to like camping and took us. About four years ago he admitted he does not and said he would never go again, ever! It was after Donovan's first winter camp. There were not enough tents and Tsenu had to sleep in the car, which we all know is colder then a tent. He froze. Poor him!

Megan said...

Ha ha. I'm still laughing. I'm jealous you guys got to go up near Shaver. That place is beautiful!

aisha said...

I know, it really is beautiful. And I always forget how many stars there really are until I'm in the mountains. I think I caught a cold up there, though, because since Monday I have had almost no voice! Even though I dressed like an Eskimo for bed, I still felt the cold seeping through me that night. And I never really felt like I went to sleep. Oh, well, at least it was 24 hours without the kids!!!