9.22.2007

morning storm


[Nature, like man, sometimes weeps from gladness--Benjamin Disraeli]
Early this morning [around 3 or 4 am] we had a thunderstorm with a fair bit of rain. Although we awoke to clouds and grey skies, at around 8 am the clouds parted and this amazing golden sun broke through and warmed up the damp and dewy morning. I couldn't resist grabbing my camera and heading out the front door to capture some shots of the dahlias in the yard dripping with the autumn rain. [I posted my favorite one above.] We had another thunderstorm tonight just as we were getting the kids ready for bed. Even Collin was getting excited about all the thunder and lightning that was rumbling and flashing about. It must be in the genes, for I have loved thunderstorms ever since I was about 6 or 7 years old. I have vivid memories of watching the entire backyard light up, just as clear as day, during the many thunderstorms when we lived in Redding, CA. And I love how you can smell the rain, even before it falls. I even open some windows while it's raining so I can enjoy its soothing sounds. There's just something about rain and thunder and lightning that just makes me want to snuggle up with a blanket and get cozy with a book, or sit and watch the storm through the windows.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Cool pic. My kids still head for the hills, or under their beds is more like it, when there's a storm. Living this summer in Indiana you'd think they would have warmed up to thunder and lightening but they are still scared.