3.31.2008

aisha's picks

Do you love "Anne of Green Gables?"

As I have enjoyed the "Anne of Green Gables" series since I was a young girl, I was excited to hear that a prequel was out. However, I am always wary of books about beloved characters NOT written by the original author. So, I was prepared not to get too emotionally attached from the get-go.

I needn't have worried. Budge Wilson does a tremendous job of showing us Anne's early upbringing and marrying it with the "Anne with an e" we come to know and love in the "Green Gables" series. If you love the Anne-girl, you will fall in love with this prequel as well. And as soon as I finished it, I must admit that I immediately reached for "Anne of Green Gables" to continue along with one of my most beloved stories!

I also passed it along to my nine year old daughter who has read the first novel in the series [and has watched my DVD with the adorable Megan Follows] and she enjoyed it as well.


And if you've paid any attention to my reading list for the past couple of months, you will have noticed that "Bleak House" has steadfastly remained as many other novels have been finished.

I am pleased to announce that I have finally finished it! I must confess that I wasn't sure if I would, but I persevered and am so glad that I did! It was a little heavier read than am used to, so I had to mix it up with some lighter diversions along the way. Dickens is such a master of creating scenes and characters. He's amazing. For awhile I wondered how all of his many and varied characters would come together in the end, but Dickens ties everything up seamlessly.

The themes of irony, passion, and secrets makes for a compelling tale, the most compelling being that of Lady Dedlock. Her icy exterior is a most convincing mask for the passion that lies in her past, a passion she would die for.

And now I am going to treat myself to the 15 episode BBC miniseries! I've been waiting so long to watch it, but I made myself finish the novel before watching it. Fortunately our public library is so good-they already have it en route to me. Can't wait!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I have always loved all of the Anne books. I will have to give this new one a try.
I am glad that you finally finished Bleak House. You will enjoy the movie. It was done very well. Tsenu, even enjoyed it. All though a must confess he watch all Masterpiece Theaters. I love having a guy who enjoys my movies as much as I enjoy his!